With countries and governments pushing towards renewable energy sources, Australia is perfectly positioned to benefit from solar power. The country’s abundant sunlight makes solar panels an increasingly attractive option for Australian homeowners and businesses. If you’re considering switching to solar power in Wollongong, Illawarra or anywhere else in Australia, this article is for you.
Advantages of solar power
There are numerous advantages of solar power; here are just a few:
- Renewable and sustainable: Solar power is a clean, renewable energy source that does not deplete natural resources or produce harmful emissions. The average Australian house uses around 15,800 kWh of electricity per year. By harnessing solar energy, households can significantly reduce their reliance on fossil fuels and contribute to mitigating climate change.
- Cost-effective: The cost of solar photovoltaic (PV) systems [solar panels to you and me] has significantly decreased over the years, making it an affordable option for residential and business owners. Australia is the sunniest continent on earth; on average, an Australian household receives around 3,000 kWh of sunlight per year, which is equivalent to 3.8 -6.3 peak sun hours a day. Solar power offers long-term cost savings by reducing electricity bills.
- Solar rebate schemes: Many states in Australia offer solar rebate schemes and incentives. Currently, NSW offers two solar rebates – the ‘Solar for low-income household’s trial’ and ‘empowering homes’ programs. By exporting additional power they produce back into the grid, NSW homeowners can also receive feed-in tariffs. The NSW Solar rebate offers homeowners a rebate of between $2000 and $7000 on the cost of solar panels.
- Energy independence: Solar power allows individuals, businesses, and communities to become more self-sufficient by generating their own electricity. By reducing dependence on the grid, solar power provides greater energy security and resilience, particularly in remote areas. Solar panels can also help countries to reduce their reliance on foreign sources of fuel and increase their self-sufficiency in meeting their energy needs.
- Remote power generation: Australia’s vast and remote regions often face challenges in assessing electricity from the grid. Solar power can be deployed in these areas, providing a reliable and decentralised energy solution, whether for residential, agricultural, or industrial purposes.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions: Solar power in Wollongong and other places produce electricity without emitting greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, which contribute to climate change. By adopting solar energy, Australia can reduce its carbon footprint and meet its emission reduction targets.
- Environmental benefits: Solar power helps preserve natural resources by reducing the need for conventional energy sources. It minimises air and water pollution associated with traditional energy methods, benefiting the environment and public health.
Are you ready to make the switch to solar energy?
This article has only touched on some of the advantages of solar power. From its environmental friendliness to long-term cost savings and energy independence, solar power offers a sustainable solution to our growing energy needs. As technology continues to advance and energy cost increase, it is expected that solar power will play an increasingly important role in our future energy landscape. If you are ready to switch to solar power, then the first step is to find a solar power Wollongong installer. You can search Google for Solar Wollongong and choose a reputable firm. Switching to solar power will probably be one of the smartest decisions you make this year if not this decade.